Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I can't believe this is only Day 3!

      Jambo!  I am going to keep this one super short because it is late, I still haven't written my journal entry for tonight and I am getting eaten alive by mosquitoes and want to return to the refuge of my mosquito net.  We visited the UN today which was absolutely unreal!  It didn't really hit me until we passed a World Food Programme car that we were visiting THE agency of development in Africa.  THE UN which I have read countless articles about and have had many a discussion about.  It was very cool to see it for real and to listen to lectures from the Head of UN Habitat.  The UN Headquarters in Nairobi is one of the three largest in the world, following New York and Geneva.  We also went to the Canadian High Commission, and listened to several really stimulating and engaging lectures, the content of which, I will not bore you.
    I am learning so much everyday, all day. It is such an intensive learning experience.  The people are also amazing!  There is so much diversity in terms of academic disciplines and interests.  Just having discussion at dinner or on the long truck rides through town (goodness knows they are LONG! Nairobi traffic is ridiculous)  I have met some really cool people and I cannot believe that I get to travel with them, research with them, and live with them for the next 2.5 months.  Plus, they let me talk about development a lot!  They even ask me questions, which I am absolutely loving.  I am just so glad that I have something to contribute the this group because I am learning so much from them myself.
     Tomorrow we are going to the largest slum in Kenya, Kabira, and another slum to look at several slum upgrading projects as well as several youth oriented organizations started by youth leaders in the slums.  Should be another tough but satisfying day.
     I might not be able to access this blog for a while after this.  The work load is picking up and we are leaving for Uganda soon.  I will be in contact with my parents though and as you see, my dad will be able to post updates when I do not have access to the internet or the time to write.
     I miss you all!  Have a wonderful day!    

No comments:

Post a Comment