Sunday, January 9, 2011

and so it begins!


       It has been almost one year since I submitted my application to the Canadian Field Studies in Africa Program at McGill University and five years since the idea of going to Africa first materialized in my head.  I started my adventure today.  I boarded a train at Union Station in Toronto and have made my way to Montreal, where I will attend five days of orientation at McGill University.  Starting tomorrow I will be meeting the other students and staff of the CFSIA Program and begin my introduction courses.  My time in Montreal has also given me the perfect opportunity to reconnect with my high school friend Nurin, who has very generously offered me a place to stay for the week.  
      With the CFSIA group we will be traveling through Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania over 2.5 months.  For more information about the program, you can visit www.mcgill.ca/africa.  The itinerary is rather vague at the moment and I am hoping to learn more as the week goes on.  I will also use this first week to write several posts with information about the areas I will be visiting, including several information links.   
       What I can say right now is that I am very nervous and very excited.  I am looking forward to meeting a whole new group of people tomorrow and I am anxious to start learning.  The trip is finally starting to feel real!   





1 comment: