Friday, January 14, 2011

The day before

      It is the night before we depart.  I am sitting in the living room of my benevolent hosts reflecting on the week, what to expect for the next couple of months, and the rush of emotions I am currently experiencing.
      The week has been an interesting combination of classes from profs enthusiastically promoting their courses and telling us what a wonderful experience we are about to have, coupled with information classes on the variations in which we can be injured, jailed, attacked or killed.  The general sentiment amongst the other 37 participants is one of impatience.  There was certainly excitement when I left the final reception with the group this afternoon because the wait was almost over.
      We had a discussion today led by several students who participated in the program last year.  They offered us key insights into what to bring, what not to bring, and which profs were the first ones to pass out at the bon fire.  Their stories and travel tips gave us all a greater sense of what we can expect and how best to prepare our packs.  It was also a chance to hear about a typical day in camp and the workload of the courses.  I will not bore you with such details now because I am sure you will hear my accounts either during the trip or upon my return.
      At this point I have reached an excited calm.  I am prepared and there is not much else to do.  All I can do is sit and wait until tomorrow afternoon to come.  Luckily, I will not be spending the whole day waiting by the door, watching the clock.  Dad is trying to fly up tomorrow morning to see me off.
      I will sign off now and the next post will be made from Nairobi.

1 comment:

  1. hope you have an AMAZING time dude :) can't wait to read about it :P

    ReplyDelete