Tuesday, January 18, 2011

First week

Jambo!  Habari Gani?
      We arrived two days ago and I cannot believe it has only been two days.  Since then I have come to the realization that I have a very limited vocabulary.  There are only so many times that I can use the words Wow! and Amazing! before they become obsolete.  I am referring in this instance to the game drive we took yesterday.  We arrived on Sunday, late at night and so we started the program on Monday.  We took a game drive through Nairobi National Park and had our first "bush" lecture (a.k.a a lecture outside in the "bush").  I could write for days about the experience but for now I will say that I took a gazillion pictures, give or take, and was completely blown away by the context of the park and the conservation efforts towards the entire ecosystem to which the park belongs.  I sat beside a couple of students studying wildlife biology, which was possibly the best decision I made that day.  I learned a lot.
      Today we went into the city of Nairobi to the University of Nairobi where we met with some students from the university.  We had a lecture on Kenya and the city in specific and then we went out into the city in groups with Kenyan students as our guides.  What a sweet, and effective, way to learn.  We walked around the Central Business District and talked with the students all afternoon.  Despite a few issues with a lost bank card, a lost group member and a fun story involving a crazy lady, the day was great.  Our guides were so friendly and very willing to answer our questions. 
       I have some work to finish up before bed and it is already 10:45, so I will leave it here.  In addition to the daily learning experiences, we are keeping academic journals in which we record our observations and reflections on what we are learning.  Seeing as this will not only make for a great momento, it will also be graded. 
     I do not know when I will be back on but my dad has my new phone number and he may be making a few updates on this blog to keep you informed when I cannot. 
     Lala Salama! 

No comments:

Post a Comment