Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Zanzibar, Tanzania (from Mark)

(As per an email received from Allison)

Hey! 

I wanted to call you last night or send you a text but I have absolutely no credit left on my phone and unfortunately roaming charges apply while we are in Tanzania and so things are expensive.  I now have to pay to receive calls as well. 
I'm sorry this is going to be brief but I have so much work to catch up on, every spare minute not in class is precious.  We are in Zanzibar now and it is so cool.  We arrived yesterday and the heat is just as oppressive as in Malindi.  Thank goodness there is a breeze but there is no swimming here unfortunately.  The town is beautiful!  We went on a walking tour around Stone Town yesterday.  It is an amazing blend of cultures that manifests itself in the architecture and the feel of the streets.  Parts of the town feels like other African urban areas (and smells like it too) but then you find yourself walking down streets you'd expect to find in Morrocco, and other streets feel distinctively European.  It is a really cool town and the tourism industry has absolutely exploded here in the last few years.  We see a lot more tourists, way more than we're used to.  It also means that we are allowed out at night and during the day.  We have been given our first tastes of freedom.  Up until this point, we have not been allowed to eat anywhere, wander anywhere or anything without the group.  Here we are given an allowance for food and the only meal we eat at the hotel is breakfast together.  Last night I went out to dinner with Jen, Marianne and Jen to Mercury's Bar (a bar named after the late Freddy Mercury who was born in Zanzibar in 1946).  Our table was right on the water with a view of the park and there was a lightening storm playing off the coast into the ocean.  Great company, great atmosphere and great food!  It is a shame that we have so much work to do in a place like this, but the program is wrapping up so everything we've put off is catching up with us.  It's great all the same. I am going to be writing my exam on a deck bar right on the Indian Ocean, so no complaints.
I now have to go journal.  I will try to check my email again soon.  I want to hear about how the new job is going! 
Talk to you soon!  I love you sooo much! 
Allison

1 comment:

  1. Cool! Drinking in a bar named after Freddy Mercury in the town he was born in. The stone age relics were cool....but this is way cool. I'm terrible, I know.
    So, now that you are home, we're expecting some great pictures to show up on this blog. Hope you're busy doing that! Also, will be checking Facebook to see the Amsterdam/Paris photos.
    Welcome back. Ev

    ReplyDelete